Friday, July 15, 2011

Original Thought: #Trust30 - Day 6

Original Thought by Michael Brajkovich
“The arts and inventions of each period are only its costume, and do not invigorate men.”
Think of the last time that you thought, said, or did something that was original. What inspired or invigorated this?
(Author: Michael Brajkovich)

I want to take a look at this quote…. because I completely disagree. The art and invention of the times absolutely invigorate men. Does anyone recall a little period of time called the Rennaisance? I may not have lived in that time, but I live my life invigorated by the art that I pursue. Art makes me feel alive. Being able to express what I have roiling an writhing inside of me helps clear my mind and allows me to live each day more freely. It’s something that I’ve come to realize is crucial for my continued existence. The days I am incapable of pursuing my artistic passions are the days I feel the most lethargy. The build up of stress and pressure weighs down my body and limbs to the point where I want nothing more than to curl up in my own big bed and hide from the world. Art, the things I create, allow me to decompress, de-stress, haul my ass out of bed and embrace the life that I have. 

I costume/sew, cook and bake, draw, dabble in sculpture and most important to me currently,  I paint. For most of these things I’m not half bad and they are absolutely the things that I come home for. They’re what makes my life worth living.

If it weren’t for the inventions of man we’d still be stuck in an Age of Darkness. Art may not have a functional purpose but I’d argue that it’s purpose is to drive man to function. To see something of beauty, or at least of interest, opens the mind to creative ideas and from those ideas bud the fruits of the artistic and technological revolution that we’re currently living in. To say that art and invention do not invigorate man, is a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment