Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ordinary Things: #Trust30 - Day 5


Ordinary Things by Ana Guardia
“Every artist was first an amateur.”
To be an artist one has to find beauty in ordinary things. Find 10 things of great beauty in the landscape that surrounds you. For example, crumple sheets on your bed in the morning, the smell of coffee making its way around a busy office.
(Author: Ana Guardia)

Since I began painting I’ve begun to see the world differently. I see each things as they are, but also in the colors and shapes that compose it.

My cat, purring softly, greeting me first thing in the morning
Satin silk, smooth and supple, of my deep violet curtains brushing my cheek as a morning breeze flows through my bedroom window
Soft slippery bubbles sliding over olive tanned skin while I shower at the gym
The undiluted taste of tea, burnt sienna, slightly bitter and clean
The stark contrast of a vivid blue sky against the budding flora
Yellow-white sun reflecting off the sharply shaped buckeye leaves
A translucent green spider, speckled with black and white crawling across my windshield
My book coarse and heavy in my hands with its scent unique to pressed paper that suffuses a bookstore or  library
Beige suede car seats warmed in the afternoon sun with the sound of locusts chittering on the horizon
Even the air feels firm and has it’s own hazy hue, thick and comforting like a gentle hand playing softly over my skin


I like this exercise. This day is very typical of my work week and yet, look at all the little beautiful things I have to appreciate in it.

1 comment:

  1. I love it...this is a beautiful post! Take care.

    Peace, Nico

    ReplyDelete