Monday, September 26, 2011

Happy Mabon!

I was a bad witch this weekend. I didn’t do a full ritual for the Equinox but that’s ok. I feasted and baked and spent time with those closest to me. And as it’s a holiday of harvest and plenty I feel this was quite an alright way to spend it.
I did feel the need to make a seasonal offering in celebration though so this year I made apple bread. I brought all my ingredients over to Friends house and made a delightful apple bread. Autumn ingredients shared with  close friends is a good ritual in my book. Friends wife was tickled that I included them in my celebration. Friend responded with, well we’re practically family after all. I had mixed feelings about this but for all intents and purposes the sentiment was a warm one.
This recipe made two loafs. It was surprisingly balanced. I was afraid it would be uber sweet, but it wasn’t. Don’t get me wrong, it definitely had sweetness to it, but it wasn’t a smash in your face sweetness. I also used granny smith apples so there was a really nice balance.  Quite delightful. I love autumn. I love apples. I love baking with apples.

Apple Bread
Prep Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 1 hrs 35 mins
Yield: 2 loafs
Ingredients
-       3 cups flour
-       1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
-       1 teaspoon baking soda
-       1 teaspoon salt
-       1/4 teaspoon baking powder
-       3 eggs
-       2 cups sugar
-       1 cup oil
-       1 tablespoon vanilla
-       2 cups diced apples ( , without skins)
-       1/2 cup chopped walnuts
-       1 teaspoon flour
Directions
-       Mix flour, cinnamon, soda, salt and baking powder together.
-       Beat eggs and add sugar and oil.
-       Add vanilla and dry ingredients.
-       Stir in apples.
-       Mix walnuts in a tsp of flour and add to batter.
-       Pour into 2 greased loaf pans.
-       Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

1 comment:

  1. All of your food looks so yummy..it makes me miss my oven :(

    ReplyDelete